Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Bridge Between Sharers

Just the other day I blogged about "Life Lessons from My Cat." In short the blog was explaining how uncomfortable I feel around Christians since I am a Christian Lesbian. I worry way too much about what others think and don't spend enough time listening to God.

 Well, God spoke...

The out pouring from my church family was not one that I had expected. I thought a few friends I have made in the two years I have been attending there would speak out in support. I didn't have a clue what the true response would be. It was over whelming! The conversations that were started and conversations that are still going on are life changing. The support from my Kaleo Church Community is amazing to say the least! I spent the day crying tears of joy and in disbelief that this was actually happening. For me it was a real life miracle.

In this process of taking my pain and fear, placing it out there for all to see something incredible has happened. I no longer feel alienated or judged in the place I now call my church home. For the first time in a long time I believe there can be hope that we are as one body working for Christ with nothing to separate us from one another. Together, moving in the same direction regardless of our personalities, race, gender, and yes...even sexual orientation. I know that in the future I will probably have to revisit this day over and over again to reassure myself. It has been a lifetime of living in an alienated state but I believe I can change. I believe others can change.  I believe God is the change.

Through this journey I am also starting to dislike labels. I have never given them much thought until the other day when I was chatting with my Pastor. If we are the body of Christ using our hands, feet, words, actions, to show God's LOVE that is all the label I need. I am me. I am unique in my design and want others to know the person that I am in Christ. Being gay is a small part of several things that make up who I am but it is not alone what identifies me.  I am God's child forever.

The people of KALEO Covenant Church are truly living up to the meaning of the word. I found a definition online: "to call," that is, "to invite or to summon." The people of Kaleo are answering the call and calling on others to join them. Inviting with an open heart and summoning others to be a part of this action. The action of love.

1 John 3:18

18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

It is evident that I saw action, evident I felt love, so evident this is God's truth.

My prayer for tomorrow is that I can be for someone what the people of Kaleo were and are for me. In a time of indecision and uncertainty my church family stepped up, extended their hearts, and arms to embrace me as part of God's family. 

1 John 4:18

18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

It was once said by Audre Lorde, an American Write & Civil Rights Activist:

“The sharing of joy, whether physical, emotional, psychic, or intellectual, forms a bridge between the sharers which can be the basis for understanding much of what is not shared between them, and lessens the threat of their difference.

 

 








No comments: